Tuesday 28 August 2012

Pre-Employment Medical

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the pre-employment medical for Emirates. This is the medical you will complete after you get your Golden Call. After you get your Golden call you will have access to the candidate portal which you will complete section by section.

One thing I would outline is that the pre-employment medical is not the overall medical that is required by Emirates. It is a preliminary medical. It is just the part of the medical that you must undertake in your home country before travelling to Dubai.

From my understanding (I went through this 2 weeks ago, and have now gained my 'final approval' status) this is what you need to complete in your home country, at your own expense before travelling to Dubai:


  • Appendix 1 (Summary of Medical Standards). (You just discuss this with your Doctor, it does not need to be uploaded).
  • Appendix 2 form (Medical history). This must be filled out by you, signed by you, and uploaded to the candidate portal.
  • Appendix 4 form (Certificate of Dental Health). You must get your dentist to fill out this form, sign it and then you upload it to the candidate portal.
What needs to be completed either in your home country or in Dubai (cost will be deducted from your salary if they are completed in Dubai):
  • OPG X-ray. This is a panoramic, dental radiograph. This may be completed in your home country or during your first four weeks in Dubai.
  • Blood Tests: HIV/AIDS, VDRL, Haemoglobin, Hepatitis B.
  • Chest X-ray for Tuberculosis: for signs of active TB.
  • Cervical Smear test report: for females only.
  • Vaccinations: Polio, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Typhoid, Hep A, Hep B, Yellow Fever, Varicella, Meningococcal acyw 135.
All medical reports must be in English, and be clearly written. Personally, I did all blood tests and vaccinations here in my home country, and will bring all the original documentation with me to Dubai. 

With regard to the sight and hearing tests, from my reading I don't see it stated anywhere as being compulsory to have these done before you travel to Dubai. As far as I am aware these are done by the Emirates Medical Clinic upon arrival. Perhaps it is different for somebody who wears glasses/contact lenses. 
Please refer to 'Vision' and 'ENT' sections in Appendix 1 (summary of medical standards).


I hope this is a definitive account of the medical, this is correct from my experience so far. Please let me know if I've made any errors!

No comments:

Post a Comment